CONTROVERSY has surrounded Crufts following the death of two dogs from poisoning and several other suspected cases of foul play.
Irish Setter Thendara Satisfaction, known as Jagger, died in his owner’s arms over the weekend after returning home to Belgium in what it thought to be an act of poisoning at the world renowned Kennel Club competition held at the NEC.
The three-year-old’s co-owners, Belgian Aleksandra Lauwers and Jeremy Bott from Leicester, said they are devested and believe Jagger had been targetted after beef laced with poisons was found during an autopsy.
But, while the results of Jagger’s toxicology tests are expected next week, six other dog owners have since come forward and revealed to a national newspaper they believe their dogs have also been poisoned – including owners of a Shih Tzu, who claim their dog has also died from poisoning.
Several other dogs, including a Shetland Sheepdog and a West Highland Terrier, have allegedly fallen ill after the competiton – with fingers being pointed, among others, at disgruntled competitors and animal activists who disagree with Crufts as the possible culprits.
However, The Kennel Club, which runs the competition, has said that while the poisoning rumours are understandably upsetting to dog owners and lovers, there is no concrete evidence that any dog had been poisoned whilst at Crufts.
Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club Secretary, revealed that at the time of going to press, the Club had received no details about the Shi Tzu who has allegedly died, and said they cannot look into claims which they have ‘no direct information’ about.
She added: “There have been reports about a few dogs who were unwell whilst at the show who were taken to one of the show vets, and we can confirm that the vets at Crufts established no connection between sickness and poisoning.
“Whilst there is a great deal of rumour and speculation and currently no evidence of any poisoning taking place at Crufts we are very clear that anyone caught attempting to deliberately sabotage another competitor’s performance, particularly if a dog’s welfare is put at risk, will face severe disciplinary action, which could include a ban on competing at all Kennel Club licensed events.
“Furthermore anyone who puts a dog’s welfare at risk could face prosecution under the Animal Welfare Act.”
Anyone who has similar concerns about their own dog, or who has information regarding the alleged poisonings is urged to come forward and report them to the Kennel Club at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thendara Satisfaction had been competiting at the world-renowned dog competition. s