September 25th, 2016

Travellers return to Solihull once again

Travellers return to Solihull once again Travellers return to Solihull once again
Gypsies descended on Lyndon Park on Sunday night. 31.015.001.sol.jm2

GYPSIES have yet again returned to the borough – this time descending on Sheldon Country Park and Lyndon Park.

The travellers – with their caravans estimated to number more than 20 – arrived in Sheldon on Monday, July 27.

They were said to have left behind a trail of domestic and commercial waste at the Ragley Drive site which was cleared by Birmingham City Council on Tuesday (August 4).

It is believed the same group clogged up Wagon Lane on Sunday night (August 2) as they began to set up camp at the playing fields in Lyndon Park.

Local residents had been up in arms about the occupation and behaviour – demanding action from the Council and Police to eject the gypsies.

Birmingham City Council served the group with an injunction on Monday (August 3) informing them they had to leave Lyndon Park by midday yesterday (Wednesday).

One angry resident told The Observer: “Who do they think they are just turning up and taking over our park?

“Nobody wants to use the park with them there as we don’t feel safe.

“And no doubt they will leave it in a mess – or worse – when they leave just like the gypsies did in Chadwick End last year, causing thousands of pounds of vandalism.”

As The Observer went to press, officers were at the site ensuring the peaceful departure.

A Birmingham City Council spokesperson said: “We are aware that the travellers have now moved on to Lyndon Playing Fields and we are now working closely with the police to speed up the eviction process in an effort to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.

“This is not a problem unique to Birmingham, but it is one which still needs addressing, which is why two additional traveller sites have been identified in the Birmingham Development Plan to meet the clear demand identified by the council and other neighbouring local authorities.”

As The Observer went to press reports were coming in about a caravan on Knowle Village Green.

The Council said it had served a notice and the occupier had until 4pm yesterday (Wednesday) to leave the site and that the situation was being monitored closely by officers and the Police.

Comments