Moors will take "one game at a time", says Flowers - The Solihull Observer

Moors will take "one game at a time", says Flowers

Solihull Editorial 8th Jan, 2020   0

TIM Flowers only has eyes for tonight’s re-arranged FA Trophy first round replay in the midst of a hectic schedule for Solihull Moors.

The Moors are forced to make the trip up to County Durham to face a side who held them to a 2-2 draw in the original tie back in mid-December.

Regardless of the outcome of the replay, which will pit the winners against familiar opponents in Harrogate Town in round two, Flowers’ side are bogged down by an extensive fixture list.

Solihull have two games in hand in the National League which are still awaiting a rearranged date, while the club’s progression to the quarter finals of the Birmingham Senior Cup mean that the Moors are likely to be playing twice a week for the foreseeable future.

Offering his thoughts on the situation prior to the Darlington tie, Flowers said: “We’ll take one game at a time.

“We’ve got to go to Darlington and if we win, then we’re at home to Harrogate. If we lose then we’ve got a free weekend.

“We’ve made it hard for ourselves. We had the home game and couldn’t see it out – now we’ve got to go up there and it’ll be a tough game.

“We’ll prepare for that, have a look at the walking wounded and then we’ll see what the result is.”

Moors go into the FA Trophy game on the back of a respectable goalless draw away to Yeovil Town at Huish Park last weekend.

The second-placed hosts almost found themselves behind when Lee Vaughan got in behind the defence to receive the ball and send his shot narrowly wide of the post.

Another well-worked move led to George Carline cutting inside from the left before driving a cross into the direction of Paul McCallum, who flicked his header off-target.

National League top scorer Rhys Murphy livened up Yeovil and went close to setting up the opening goal after whipping a ball to the back post where Courtney Duffus was waiting, only for the striker to fail to meet the cross.

Ryan Boot made a first save of the game when keeping out James Tilley’s effort, following a lapse in concentration at the back from Solihull’s defenders.

Tilley was at it again moments later with a strike through a crowd of players, one which Boot did well to shut out to keep the game deadlocked at the break.

Bizarrely, it was the last of the action for a 40-minute period following a floodlight failure which delayed the commencement of the second half.

Although play eventually resumed, the quality of chances created and finishing left a lot to be desired.

One half-chance that dropped to Jake Beesley almost resulted in a goal when the striker took the ball around Town goalkeeper Stuart Nelson, but failed to convert the chance when being off-balance.

The hosts finished strongly and went close to stealing all three points when Duffus drew a save from Boot.

But with no further chances, the game ebbed out into a draw.

Solihull full-back Carline admits he feels back at home following his recent return to the club following a short-term loan at National League North side Leamington, and said: “I’m loving being back and playing – I can’t really complain.

“Performances have been decent, I felt a little leggy today but coming back up to this level I suppose it’s a bit more intense on a heavy pitch.

“We definitely could’ve come away with the three points. Considering their record here and the atmosphere, I think we’ll take a point.”


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Solihull Observer.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.