Moors continue to brew up momentum after Burton Albion stalemate - The Solihull Observer

Moors continue to brew up momentum after Burton Albion stalemate

Solihull Editorial 24th Jul, 2019   0

SOLIHULL Moors continued their encouraging pre-season with a goalless draw with League One Burton Albion on Tuesday night, following on from Saturday’s 4-0 thrashing of Ilkeston Town.

Tim Flowers’ side made sure of a clean sheet against Nigel Clough’s Brewers thanks to a second-half penalty save from Ryan Boot to deny Scott Fraser.

The friendly was the first at the Stadium since the completion of the bulk of renovation works, with the remaining work on the new Damson Homes main stand set to be completed in time for the first home game against Torquay United.

Moors found the first opening of the game when full back Tyrone Williams connected with Jamey Osborne’s long throw, diverting his effort onto the post and out.

Down the other end, the Brewers looked menacing, and also struck the woodwork when Stephen Quinn cannoned a shot onto the foot of the post, while former Moors loanee Joe Sbarra stung the fingertips of Boot with a deadly effort.

A cross from Williams then found the head of Terry Hawkridge, but he could only send the ball into the gloves of Stephen Bywater, ensuring the deadlock remained intact at the break.

Then, minutes after the restart, a trip on Lucas Akins gifted Burton a chance from the penalty spot – one that was wasted as Boot got down low to hold onto Fraser’s spot kick.

Paul McCallum came close to opening his account in his new surroundings when a free kick was tipped into the striker’s path by Bywater, but the resulting header clipped the post and went behind.

Quinn had two efforts blocked as Moors stood firm, while McCallum had another headed opportunity float over the bar, as the referee’s whistle signalled a full-time stalemate.

In Saturday’s victory, Moors were in rampant form in their final away friendly of pre-season, storming into the lead after just two minutes thanks to Danny Wright.

The forward was in the right place at the right time to meet a shot parried by Brandon Ganley from Matt Stenson’s shot, with Wright rounding the keeper and tapping into an empty net.

It was 2-0 after 20 minutes when Osborne finished his mazy run by setting up George Carline to finish expertly, while Liam Daly was denied after crashing his header onto the frame of the bar.

Stenson then made it three when continuing his hot streak of pre-season scoring form, heading home a Daly cross to make it four goals in five games for the forward.

Moors made a host of changes at the break, and had an easier task at hand following a red card for Ilkeston’s Massiah Macdonald.

Captain Kyle Storer was then on hand to wrap up the scoring when picking out the bottom corner via a deflection with a drive from range, ensuring Moors won all five of their away warm-up games before the new campaign.

Moors next host Karl Robinson’s Oxford United, with the League One side visiting on Saturday (3pm) a week before the season gets underway at Harrogate Town’s Wetherby Road.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Solihull Observer.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.