MORE than 600 local schoolchildren will join Britain’s Got Talent stars onstage tomorrow night (Tuesday) for a special gala performance.
Warwick-based music charity, Armonico Consort, has brought 18 school choirs, staff choirs and Special Educational Needs (SEN) choirs from Coventry, Solihull, Stratford, Redditch, Droitwich and Telford together to showcase their talents at the Symphony Hall Birmingham.
The choirs will join Britain’s Got Talent 2013 Finalists, Richard and Adam, onstage for a performance including a range of songs from Bon Jovi’s ‘Livin’ on a Prayer’ to traditional Congolese song ‘Si, Si, Si’.
Among the choirs are new recruits from Ridgeway School in Warwick who, as well as singing with the other schools in the gala, will perform a song written specially for the occasion.
Another first is a staff choir from Thomas Jolyffe Primary School, Stratford, set up in memory of a much-loved colleague, Corinne West.
Reception class teacher and member of the choir, Jo Fletcher, said the choir had shown the members the healing power of music.
She added: “We all wanted to do something together that would be great fun in Corinne’s memory.
“As time has gone on we have all loved our sessions with Armonico Consort and now have a fabulous choir that everyone loves coming to.
“It is a wonderful tribute that we will be performing at Symphony Hall, something we are all so excited about taking part in.”
Armonico Consort develops and supports choirs and choir leaders through its in-school Choir Creation scheme and out-of-school AC Academy Choirs – with the aim of creating 300 children’s choirs and choir leaders by 2020.
AC Academy Sings Symphony Hall with celebrity guests Richard and Adam will play Symphony Hall Birmingham for one night only on Tuesday, June 23 at 7pm.
Tickets are available from Symphony Hall box office 0121 345 0600 or www.thsh.co.uk.
Choirs taking part in the concert:
- Alderman’s Green Community Primary School (Coventry)
- All Souls’ Catholic Primary School (Coventry)
- Batchley First School (Redditch)
- Coundon Court Secondary School (Coventry)
- Frederick Bird Primary School (Coventry)
- Lyng Hall Secondary School (Coventry)
- Mount Carmel First School (Redditch)
- Old Park Primary School (Telford)
- St Mary & St Benedict Catholic Primary School (Coventry)
- Solihull Children’s Choir and Training Choir (Solihull)
- Stretton C of E Academy (Coventry)
- Thomas Jolyffe Primary School (Stratford)
- Tibberton Primary School (Telford)
- Westlands First School (Droitwich)
- Whitmore Park Primary School (Coventry)
- Crocketts Primary School (Birmingham)
- Ridgeway School (Warwick)
- Plus staff choir from Thomas Jolyffe Primary School (Stratford)