A tale of two halves as Solihull Moors beat AFC Telford - The Solihull Observer

A tale of two halves as Solihull Moors beat AFC Telford

Solihull Editorial 16th Feb, 2016 Updated: 21st Oct, 2016   0

MOORS made it back-to-back wins in the Vanarama National North thanks to a 2-1 victory over AFC Telford which keeps them four points clear at the top of the table.

In cold and slippery conditions, Marcus Bignot’s side were happy to be back in action following last week’s postponement against FC United of Manchester due to a water logged pitch.

This time it was AFC Telford pitting their wits against the league leaders in a game that would be very much one of two halves, with Moors outstripping their visitors in the first but they were hanging on as Telford had the better of the final 45 minutes.

Connor McCarthy proved a handful for the Moors defence all afternoon and he came close early on by connecting with Cofie’s cross and Cofie himself was narrowly wide of the mark on seven minutes.

But it was Moors who took the lead on 18 minutes. Darryl Knights put in a precision cross to the near post and Ryan Beswick was on hand to nod the hosts into the lead.

Andy Brown then had a penalty shout waved away as he looked to be pushed inside the area, while the lively McCarthy again looked dangerous as he shot on the turn for a corner.

From that corner kick Solihull broke with Beswick lofting a long ball up to Knights who had beaten the offside trap before crossing into the box where Byrne chested it down before smashing it beyond the keeper for Moors’ second goal on 25 minutes.

Knights could have done better with his 25 yard shot while at the other end Telford striker Hibbert went wide with a half volley.

But they did managed to pull a goal back before the break when McCarthy put in a pin point cross into the six yard area and Wilson’s thumping header gave Danny Lewis no chance.

A rejuvenated Telford rejoined the second half but Wynter was perhaps fortunate to only pick up a yellow card as he clattered Beswick.

Lewis palmed over substitute Josh Wilson’s effort on the hour while Tilt’s header as he met the ensuing corner was not far wide.

With Asante on for Armson and Walker for Knights, Moors looked to be regaining momentum but they had Lewis to thank on 82 minutes as the Solihull shot stopper spread himself to deny a one-on-one with McCarthy.

Asante was just wide from an in-swinging Beswick corner while McCarthy again was just too high as he struck from the edge of the box.

And with four minutes added on Telford pushed forward but Gaz Dean came to the rescue by heading over his own bar to avert a possible equaliser.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.