Solihull Moors maintain unbeaten run with narrow victory over Stockport - The Solihull Observer

Solihull Moors maintain unbeaten run with narrow victory over Stockport

Solihull Editorial 2nd Nov, 2015 Updated: 21st Oct, 2016   0

THE UNBEATEN run this season continues for Solihull Moors after they beaten Stockport County 1-0 to remain hot on the heels of National League North leaders AFC Fylde, reports John Clothier.

A warm sunny day welcomed Stockport County to the The Automated Technology Group Stadium with the Hatters themselves enjoying a rich vein of form having won all of their matches since mid-September.

Moors were still without the injured duo of keeper Danny Lewis and captain Theo Streete, while Jack Byrne was serving the last of his three-game ban following his red card at Chorley.

After minute’s silence was held in memory of Moors president Geoff Hood, who had passed away during the week at the age of 91, it was the hosts who were to make a positive start with captain Ryan Beswick firing over from 18 yards out.

Stockport soon showed why they were in the play-off positions as they took the game to their hosts with both Ledsham and Evans threatening the Solihull goal.

Moors goalkeeper Ben Seigrist did well to foil Ledsham’s stinging shot but Moors came straight back on the counter.

A back pass from O’Hanlon to Ormsby gave Brown just enough space to menace the keeper whose clearance hit the Moors man who fired in a quick shot from just outside the box which hit Ormson on the hand.

Callum Gittings chipped the free kick over Stockport’s defence and Brown rose highest of all to head Moors into the lead on 31 minutes.

The visitors rallied with their best chance of the half falling to Kirby who forced a fine save from Siegrist, while at the other end Moors should have doubled their lead when Stefan Moore crossed for Jimmy Armson whose header was superbly saved by Ormson.

Both sides continued to create chances in the second period with Ormson keeping Moore’s early shot out of harms way and O’Hanlon headed over for County.

The introduction of Garvin for Ledsham strengthened the Stockport attack and he immediately stung Siegret’s hands with a 30-yard thunderbolt.

Moore had a chance to put the game to bed when he collected a pin point throw from Connor Franklin but he shot straight at the well positioned Ormson.

With 15 minutes left on the clock Siegrist dived low to keep out Baggie’s effort before both managers started to bring on all of their substitutes which led to the most remarkable of sending offs.

On 85 minutes the tannoy announced that Stockport were to replace full back Morton with Andy Robinson but almost as the substitute came onto the pitch he was red carde.

It is believed that this occurred as a result of abusive language to one of the assistant referees.

The delay meant that there was seven minutes of added on time for Moors to hold on as a galvanised County threw everything at their hosts.

But Moors’ defence was as steady as a rock and Marcus Bignot’s side stood form to hold out for another valuable three points.

The win leaves Moors sitting just one point behind Fylde although they do have a game in-hand over their rivals.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Solihull Observer.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Solihull Observer.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.