Solihull Moors finally taste defeat at Guiseley - The Solihull Observer

Solihull Moors finally taste defeat at Guiseley

Solihull Editorial 19th Nov, 2014 Updated: 21st Oct, 2016   0

A RUN of ten matches unbeaten came to an abrupt end for Solihull Moors on Tuesday night after they found themselves the receiving end of a 3-0 defeat at title hopefuls Guiseley.

Aiming to reach the play-offs for the fifth successive year, a trip to Nethermoor Park against a side sitting one place ahead of Moors before kick-off was always going to be a tough ask.

And that proved to be the case in Yorkshire as Guiseley made it seven wins from nine encounter between the two sides.

Moors opened strongly and Ryan Beswick’s shot in the first minute looked destined for the top left-hand corner but the heroics of Drench between the sticks thwarted the early strike.

Even from the ensuing corner Daly saw the ball scrambled off the line and away to safety.

At the other end Tony Breeden saved well from a stinging Brooksby shot on six minutes whilst Michael Nottingham went close as Solihull pushed forward.

Darryl Knights was unlucky with his effort on 18 minutes whilst at the other end of the park Johnson was foiled when Daly blocked his shot.

Darren Byfield, leading the attack in Omar Bogle’s absence on international duty, found Knights at the half way stage of the half but Drench produced another fine save and Daly was thwarted by the shot-stopper from a Beswick corner on the half hour mark.

Knights turned provider when a pin point cross found Byfield but again the keeper was proving to be unbeatable.

Guiseley were weathering the storm and were breaking out of defence in exemplary fashion with five front men running at Moors back line and it was from such a move that they broke the deadlock with three minutes of the half remaining.

Toulson cleared the ball from deep in his own half across the pitch, the next touch saw it in the box and Breeden could only parry it into the path of Brooksby who hammered home.

Solihull made a good start to the second half with Drench winning a one-on-one with Byfield but Moors were still susceptible to the fast breaks and seven minutes after the re-start Brooksby could have doubled his tally but he shot wide with only Breeden to beat.

Moors’ best chance fell to Beswick as Byfield cut the ball back across the box but a terrific low shot towards the right-hand corner was again miraculously saved by the keeper.

Then disaster struck just after the hour mark. Johnson side-stepped Daly before steering the ball into the left-hand corner of the net and three minutes later Breeden miscued a clearance which fell to Brooksby near the 18-yard line who coolly stroked in home for number three.

Moors never let their heads drop but despite good inter linking football they were finding it hard to break down the Lion’s back four and when they did the impressive Drench was impossible to beat.

A corner from Knights on 80 minutes was headed just wide by Elvins and a bullet from Gough headed just wide as Moors failed to find a breakthrough.

Moors must now ready themselves for Saturday’s league game at home to mid-table Gainsborough Trinity at the Autotech Stadium.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Solihull Observer newspaper.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.