Solihull Moors extend lead at the top after Brackley Town victory - The Solihull Observer

Solihull Moors extend lead at the top after Brackley Town victory

Solihull Editorial 6th Jan, 2016 Updated: 21st Oct, 2016   0

MOORS extended their lead at the top of the Vanarama National North on Tuesday night thanks to a comfortable 3-0 victory at home to struggling Brackley Town.

First half goals from Stefan Moore and Liam Daly, plus a third just after half time from Akwasi Asante sealed the win at the Automated Technology Group Stadium.

Glenn Walker had the first shot of the match for the visitors in the opening moments which brought out an early save from Ben Siegrist, while at the other end Ryan Beswick’s shot lacked any pace.

However on five minutes Beswick unleashed a thunderbolt from 25 yards after a strong run and cross from the left flank by Asante, the ball came back against the bar but Moore had read the situation perfectly and launched the ball into the back of the net as Moors opened their account.

Brackley looked to hit straight back but Nottingham’s shot on 11 minutes was deflected over but from Ryan Beswick’s curling corner Liam Daly rose highest to head in Solihull’s second of the night.

Ex Moors midfielder Joe Clarke tried an opportunist drive from 25 yards which just cleared the bar but Moors were generally in total control with some delightful one touch passing despite the slippery surface.

Stefan Moore dummied his way through for a good shot at goal but Hornby was well placed to avert the danger and Akwasi’s effort on the half-hour mark was spilled by the keeper and Moors could not capitalise on the mistake.

Nottingham went close with a shot to the top  near corner, but despite continual pressure Solihull could not extend their lead as the whistle blew for half time.

With Jimmy Armson on for Beswick, Moors were straight back at Brackley from the restart with Jack Byrne sending Nottingham away down the right and the wing back put in a sublime cross which was stabbed into the net by Asante three minutes after the break.

Knights was foiled by Hornby who saved with his feet at Solihull piled on the pressure and Steve Diggin had the best shot for the Saints on 69 minutes but despite Siegrist’s flying dive towards the top right hand corner of the goal, the ball was inches wide.

Brackley never let their heads drop but the central defence of Streete, Daly and Dean was impenetrable and then Siegrist was there to deal with any long range shots.

At the other end Knights was again denied by Hornby after a through ball from Moore as time ebbed away but it ended 3-0.

The win cements Moors’ position at the top of the league and they now ready themselves for Saturday’s visit to the Automated Technology Group Stadium of North Ferriby United who currently sit in second place.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Solihull Observer newspaper.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Solihull Observer.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


Advertise with the Solihull Observer to reach your audience