Solihull Moors come from behind to beat struggling Guiseley - The Solihull Observer

Solihull Moors come from behind to beat struggling Guiseley

Solihull Editorial 23rd Aug, 2016 Updated: 21st Oct, 2016   0

TWO goals in the final ten minutes saw Solihull Moors come from behind to claim their third victory of the season at home to basement boys Guiseley in the Vanarama National League, reports John Clothier.

The first encounter between the two teams in two seasons proved to be an entertaining one with Moors looking set to lose their second game of the season after trailing 2-1 with ten minutes to go.

But goals from Andy Brown and a second for Harry White ensured that Moors continued their impressive start to life in the top tier of non-league football with a 3-2 victory.

A swirling wind greeted the players in drizzly overcast conditions at the Automated Technology Group Stadium and Danny Lewis made two routine saves early on before on 14 minutes the home side went in front.

A trademark long throw from Connor Franklin landed at Knights feet but the shot smashed against the upright and fell to Franklin who reacted quickly with a floated chip into the box which was met by the leaping Brown who headed Moors 1-0 in front.

Guiseley came straight back forcing two corners with Javan Vidal being foiled by Lewis in a one-on-one and Purver blazed over for the Lions.

On the half-hour Jamey Osborne’s 25 yard shot forced a great save from Deasy and then from 40 yards, with the keeper stranded, Osborne tried again but the ball squeezed past the wrong side of the far post.

The visitors pushed for the equaliser as Hatfield’s corner might have been converted in the melee it caused in the box and Johnson’s eventual shot was diverted for another corner.

However Moors could only clear the ball as far as the 18-yard line and Hatfield launched a screamer which hit the underside of the bar and dropped behind the goal line to level things up at half-time.

There was little to choose between the teams in the opening stages of the second half as both sides continued to create chances.

Palmer’s header from a Hatfield free kick provided an easy take for Lewis and Rankine miscued from close range while at the other end Brown robbed the keeper but his cross was headed against the post by Asante.

Lewis then produced the save of the day as Rankine was put through on goal but the Moors keeper made fine strop from point blank range and he denied Vidal soon after from ten yards out.

Moors boss Marcus Bignot replaced defender Shepherd Murombedzi with midfielder Omari Sterling James on 65 minutes as Moors looked for a winner but disaster struck on 77 minutes.

A mix up between Franklin and Lewis allowed substitute Boyes to go in front but if the visitors thought the match was in the bag they were in for a big surprise.

With ten minutes left on the clock, Sterling James put an exquisite cross into the box and again Brown out-jumped the defence to guide a powerful header into the far corner to restore parity.

Brown then turned provider four minutes later when he nodded down Daly’s long pass and with no hesitation substitute White stroked the ball into the back of the net to put the home side back in front.

Guiseley rallied in search of a late equaliser but despite their best efforts and four minutes of injury-time, Bignot’s side were able to hold on for all three points to move up to fifth in the league table.

Attendance: 545

Team: Lewis, Murombedzi (Sterling James), Franklin, Daly (c), Gough, Asante (White), Byrne (Beswick), Brown, Knights, Fagbola, Osborne.

Subs not used – Koue Niate, Moore

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Solihull Observer newspaper.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Solihull Observer.