Solihull Moors claim a point on first visit to Gateshead - The Solihull Observer

Solihull Moors claim a point on first visit to Gateshead

Solihull Editorial 20th Sep, 2016 Updated: 21st Oct, 2016   0

A FIRST trip in six years to Gateshead ended in goalless draw for Solihull Moors as they continue to adjust to life in the National League, reports John Clothier.

Marcus Bignot was without the suspended Jean Yves Niate and Akwasi Asante remained injured but there was a confident mood in the Moors camp following a mid-week draw away at high-flying Lincoln.

It was hearts in mouths time after only two minutes when Nathan Vaughan needed two attempts to deal with a short back pass as the impressive Danny Johnson sought to pounce and the Gateshead striker was almost in again on six minutes but Vaughan again made a smart save.

Moors eventually got into their stride and only a good interception from debutant keeper Dan Hanford prevented Andy Brown from getting on the end of an accurate Darryl Knights cross.

McLaughlin’s corner found Bolton but Vaughan tipped the ball away to safety while at the other end Beswick’s corner was met by Liam Daly but Hanford was well placed.

On 27 minutes Andy Brown was replaced by Harry White after clash of heads had left the Moors frontman motionless on the ground for three minutes.

Reece Styche provided a comfortable take by Vaughan from 20 yards but when York skipped past three defenders it took a brilliant save from the Moors shot stopper to preserve the status quo. However at the other end Omari Sterling James was on a solo run cutting in from the left and causing Hanford to save with his feet from close range.

Knights could not make proper contact with Connor Franklin’s long throw and after a virtuoso run through the middle of the park by Jack Byrne, Ryan Beswicks’s cross was over hit and Sterling James has no chance of controlling it despite a clear sight of goal.

As the first half ebbed away Moors’ best chance came from Byrne picking out Knights whose right foot volley was brilliantly pushed out by Hanford.

After the break Solihull were soon on the front foot as Knights thrust forward to find Beswick but his well struck effort took a deflection straight into the keeper’s arms.

Johnson fired towards the far post but Vaughan produced a one-handed save to quell the danger and again on the hour mark the finger tips of Vaughan tipped away a dangerous cross from Styche.

The irrepressible Jamey Osborne put through Sterling James but he shot wide and Daly headed over Beswick’s corner, while Jordan Fagbola blocked York on a run with 15 minutes left on the clock.

The agile Vaughan thwarted Johnson on 80 minutes from a tight angle and Moore’s first touch almost provided the breakthrough when his goal bound volley hit Harry White and went wide for a goal kick.

Five minutes from time Knights volleyed another long throw from Connor Franklin but Hanford produced a fine reaction stop but neither side could find the breakthrough after three minutes of added on time.

This Saturday Moors welcome Boreham Wood in what will be there first ever visit to the Automated Technology Group Stadium.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


Advertise with the Solihull Observer to reach your audience