Solihull Moors beat Stalybridge to move top of the National League - The Solihull Observer

Solihull Moors beat Stalybridge to move top of the National League

Solihull Editorial 24th Aug, 2015 Updated: 21st Oct, 2016   0

MOORS moved top of the Vanarama National League North thanks to a 3-1 victory on the road at Stalybridge Celtic on Saturday, reports John Clothier.

On the unexpectedly hottest afternoon of the season so far, Moors travelled to the Bower Fold for their 16th match against Stalybridge in the National League North.

Although in recent years Solihull have edged the results against Celtic, their hosts have in fact won seven of the previous encounters with four having been drawn.

And with Stalybridge having also rebuilt during the summer recess, this had all the hall marks of a pulsating clash in the sweltering conditions.

Jack Byrne had the first effort on goal but his shot was blocked as Moors made a confidant start but it was immediately clear that Celtic boasted two very fast wingers who needed careful marking and striker Bohan Dixon needed close attention.

It was number seven McKenna who split the defence with his cross before Byrne cleared whilst Chippendale on the left flank forced Danny Lewis into a good take on 14 minutes.

With play fairly even between the teams Moors opened the scoring on 16 minutes when Stefan Moore received the ball on the 18-yard line and he coolly knocked it sideways into the path of Bryne who dispatched a low drive into the right-hand corner of the net.

Celtic might have hit back straightaway but Chippendale miscued his shot before on the half-hour mark an astute Liam Daly intercepted a dangerous ball into the box to prevent a one-on-one for Johnson against Danny Lewis.

At the other end Moore beat two defenders to clear his path to McMillan but a weak shot did not trouble the keeper, while Lewis saved well from McKenna.

But the hosts got themselves back on level terms right before half-time when McKenna produced a good knock down on the edge of the box and Dixon drove the ball into the corner of the Solihull net.

Wright shot wide for the Badgers on 47 minutes while Moore forced a good save from McMillan as the second half began in the same fashion.

Dixon was barely wide with a 25 yarder whilst Higgins headed over from Chippendales cross.

Connor Franklin was taking the throw ins from both sides of the pitch and Byrne headed over from him on 58 minutes before Lewis produced the save of the day moments later as a fierce shot blasted through the Solihull defence but despite seeing it late  the Moors shot stopper was ready.

Marcus Bignot brought on Adam Walker for the tiring Beswick and on 72 minutes a long Connor Franklin throw found Daly at the near post who headed in to put Moors back in front.

With Jimmy Armson on for Moore, Solihull were now in the ascendancy and Franklin’s long throws were a constant source of danger for the home side.

And with seven minutes left on the clock Asante collected the ball near the corner post and found Armson who ran at the Celtic defence before passing to Knights 12 yards out who side footed home for Moors’ third goal.

Walker hit the side netting as time ebbed away whilst Moors kept possession to frustrate the home side and prevent any danger to secure a hard fought victory.

Moors are at home to Alfreton this Saturday at the Automated Technology Group Stadium (3pm) before travelling to Corby on Monday Bank Holiday (3pm).


Advertise with the Solihull Observer to reach your audience

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Solihull Observer newspaper.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.