Solihull Moors avoid home banana skin to book FA Cup clash with Worcester - The Solihull Observer

Solihull Moors avoid home banana skin to book FA Cup clash with Worcester

Solihull Editorial 28th Sep, 2015 Updated: 21st Oct, 2016   0

SOLIHULL Moors booked an FA Cup third round qualifying match with local rivals Worcester City after dodging a potential banana skin at home to Oadby Town on Saturday.

Marcus Bignot’s side entered this year’s competition at home to United Counties League side Oadby and with 85 places separating the two sides, it was no surprise to see Moors come out 3-1 winners to progress.

In the opening minute the visitors perhaps should have took the lead when Chris Hollist found himself in front of Danny Lewis as he blasted the ball goalwards but the experienced keeper produced a fine save.

Immediately Solihull hit back and a poor clearance by Somaiya just evaded the incoming Akwasi Asante who would have had a simple tap in while the Oadby keeper made up for his earlier error by producing an instinctive save with his feet moments later.

The Poachers were looking dangerous, particularly down the left flank and they took a shock lead on 12 minutes as Moors conceded only their second goal at home all season.

Ollie Brown-Hill was picked out inside the area and managed to beat Lewis with a clever lob to put his side in front.

Moors pressed for an equaliser but waves of attacks were failing to penetrate the visitors defence. Cowan headed a Leslie corner straight at the keeper and both Armson and Hayden failed to hit the target as Moors exerted pressure.

On the half-hour Jimmy Armson produced the best chance of the half when he drove a low cross into the six-yard box which Asante slid to convert but his effort was cleared off the line and Leslie did well to pull the ball back across goal but Brown’s header was wide of goal.

Moors continued to press after the break following a stern word from manager Bignot with Walker forcing Somaiya into a smart save and a defence splitting cross from Leslie found Brown who looked certain to head home but he was thwarted by Latham.

Stefan Moore replaced Hayden on 65 minutes and immediately the former Aston Villa striker was in the thick of things, picking up a long ball from Streete and putting through Brown who was inches away.

Moors had a handball appeal turned away with 20 minutes but if the fans were starting to panic, the players stuck resolutely to their task and on 78 minutes the breakthrough finally arrived.

Substitute Liam Daly rose majestically from Leslie’s corner giving Somaiya no chance as he headed into the top left-hand corner which signaled the start of a Moors onslaught.

Ryan Beswick was introduced into the fray as Moors went all out for the winner and he shot over immediately before with four minutes remaining Armson put Asante through on the edge of the 18-yard box and the Moors striker coolly took the ball around two defenders before unleashing an unstoppable shot into the back of the net.

With time of the essence, Oadby’s Tendai Daire hit a speculative effort just wide of the upright but as the game moved into added on time, the hosts cemented their victory as the irrepressible Brown outpaced the defence down the left flank before slotting the ball into the path of Moore who side footed home from six yards.

It was a relieved Moors squad who acknowledged the fans applause at the end of this pulsating cup tie and Moors now get themselves prepared to meet beaten play-off finalists last season Chorley.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.