More cup woe for struggling Earlswood - The Solihull Observer

More cup woe for struggling Earlswood

Solihull Editorial 28th Sep, 2015 Updated: 21st Oct, 2016   0

EARLSWOOD Town bowed out of their second cup competition in two weeks after losing 2-1 at home to Paget Rangers in the first round of the Les James Cup.

A late goal two minutes from time saw Paget progress at the hands of Earlswood exited their second cup competition this season.

The visitors were first on the attack but Earlswood keeper David Hancock was on hand to cut out a dangerous cross into the box.

After five minutes Kenrick Miller hit a free kick off target before Hancok had to be alert again to deny Mark Bellingham who had been put clean through on goal.

Play was pretty even after this although Hancock made a good save from a long range effort, while at the other end Miller went close for Earlswood after 17 minutes.

On the half hour Hancock was called into action again with a couple of good efforts from the visitors and Matt Green, who had dropped back to help his defence, managed to make a good clearance from a dangerous centre off the left.

The visitors took the lead after 35 minutes when another former Earlswood player, Tom Howard, had a ball pulled back to him mid-way in the Earlswood half and he sent in a powerful shot that beat Hancock and went into the net via the underside of the crossbar.

Earlswood were denied an equalizer before the break with Maguire pulling off a fine save to deny Matt Seely’s long range effort.

The hosts went straight on the attack after the re-start and Seely was denied again by Maguire before on 66 minutes Wallace put through Keiron Sawyers-Jackson who controlled the ball well before sending in a shot that was well saved by Maguire.

After this Paget set themselves up with a couple of chances and Bellingham tested Hancock with a good effort, while at the other end Mathew Green was sent away but hit his effort wide of a post.

A glorious chance was missed with 20 minutes remaining when Wallace coasted through the Paget defence and set up Kenrick Miller but his effort was deflected wide for a corner by Maguire, who denied Seely again two minutes later.

Earlswood got the goal they deserved in the 81st minute when the tricky Wallace took the ball up the right flank beat three players and centred to Green who hit the ball into the net at the far post.

But Paget broke Earlswood hearts when Bellingham was put through on goal and he scored what proved to be the winner two minutes from time.

Next up for Earlswood is another home match in the league against Barnt Green Spartak.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Solihull Observer.