Highgate win penalty shootout to progress in cup - The Solihull Observer

Highgate win penalty shootout to progress in cup

Solihull Editorial 26th Oct, 2016 Updated: 27th Oct, 2016   0

HIGHGATE UNITED put their disappointing league form behind them on Saturday to win in a penalty shootout against Lye Town in the Worcestershire Senior Urn Quarter Final.
Goalkeeper Brendon Bunn proved to be the hero of the hour with three outstanding saves in the tense shootout, though an all-round team performance helped guide United into the semi final stage.
The win was made even more sweet as Highgate were without Tom Lacey, James Loney and Dale Taylor who were all unavailable for the third clash between the two sides this season.
Gaps in the team ensured Joe Cole earned himself a surprise recall alongside Scott Turner at the heart of the defence with Scott Rickards also in action.
It was hard working Josh Hawker who got his name on the score sheet after just 16 minutes as he converted a penalty to put Highgate in front.
The hosts failed to give in though as Sam Mills headed in a 79th minute corner.
In the absence of extra time, the game went straight to penalties with Highgate coming out on top 4-3 – there semi-final opponents are still to be decided.
There was further success on Tuesday night as Highgate won 4-3 against Wolverhampton Casuals.
Despite leading by three goals during the second half, Wolverhampton fought hard to claw back to within a goal – forcing Highgate to play defensively.
However they held on for the final whistle setting themselves up nicely for Saturday’s league game against Heanor Town (3pm) before an away encounter at Stourport Swifts on Tuesday night (7.45pm).

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Solihull Observer.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


Advertise with the Solihull Observer to reach your audience

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Solihull Observer newspaper.