Highgate shock league leaders Hereford by ending their 34 match unbeaten run - The Solihull Observer

Highgate shock league leaders Hereford by ending their 34 match unbeaten run

Solihull Editorial 24th Feb, 2016 Updated: 21st Oct, 2016   0

A SUPERB performance by Highgate saw them consign Midland Premier Division leaders Hereford to only their fourth defeat of the season on Tuesday evening.

First half goals from Aaron Brown and Lei Brown proved to be enough as Ashley Pulisciano’s team ended Hereford’s 34 match unbeaten run thanks to a 2-0 victory.

The night had started in the worst possible fashion for the visitors when a coach broke down and caused the 2,313 crowd to wait an additional 20 minutes for kick-off, which gave the visitors just ten minutes to warm-up.

Joseph Cole replaced James Loney at the heart of Gate’s defence which was the only change to the side that had lost 3-1 to Brocton the previous Saturday.

Both teams started tentatively with Declan Attenborough firing high from 20 yards out and although Hereford were stroking the ball around with some neat passing football, they were to create very little with any hint of danger.

The opening goal came on the quarter hour mark and resulting from the first corner of the game, the home defence stood still, as did keeper Martin Horsell and Aaron Brown had the simplest of tasks to nod in Connor Mooney’s flag kick.

Turner was close to an immediate second with a header dispatched marginally off target, while Brad Catlow saw his first action at the other end with a comfortable save from Ross Staley.

Hereford continued to enjoy far the better of possession but still without any real threat although their leading scorer John Mills was twice not far from equalizing.

Content to have been just the single goal in front and having survived long periods of pressure, Gate were to shock and silence the home support with a goal three minutes before the break.

Lei Brown took full advantage of Horsell’s vulnerability to high crosses by firing in Tom Lacey’s free kick at the foot of the keeper’s left hand post.

Immediately after the break Attenborough was close to a third goal after racing through onto Curvin Ellis’ pass only for Horsell to stand his ground and come out on top in a one-on-one.

Despite what was becoming one way traffic, Gate were quick on the break and far from over run but were to be grateful for some poor finishing and at times desperate defending Trevor Edwards, who did well to clear Mills’ goalbound shot off the line.

Mills and Joel Edwards both despatched late chances wide but Gate were to hold out for both a win and a clean sheet.

On Saturday Highgate entertain Coventry Sphinx (3.00pm) and on Tuesday evening they make the long trip to Rocester (7.45pm).


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Solihull Observer newspaper.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.


Advertise with the Solihull Observer to reach your audience