Highate back to winning ways after cup exit - The Solihull Observer

Highate back to winning ways after cup exit

Solihull Editorial 14th Mar, 2016 Updated: 21st Oct, 2016   0

HIGHATE made an immediate return to winning ways with a comfortable 2-0 win at Boldmere St Michaels in the Midland Premier League on Saturday.

Following their midweek 2-0 League Cup defeat to Hereford FC, Highgate quickly got back to winning ways thanks to goals in each half from Curvin Ellis and Dale Taylor.

Gate, who were without injured striker Lei Brown, had taken some time to get going against a side whose season has so far been inconsistent and it was the hosts who had the first chance when Charlie Morris fired a low 20 yard drive into Bradley Catlow’s hands and a late flag then ruled Matthew Gardner offside.

It took until the 15th for Gate to launch a serious attack with Aaron Brown getting a head on a Lacey free kick cleared into touch by Dominic Perkins.

Morris sounded a warning to the visitors with a strong burst down the left before cutting inside but electing to hit his shot beyond the far post when a pass to the unmarked Gardner looked the better option.

Scott Turner set up Ellis with a chance but the big number nine shot wide after muscling his way past centre half Harry Craven and Ellis was proving a handful to the Mike’s defence against with his tumble leading to a free kick which was curled wide by Connor Mooney before Ellis’ looped effort sailed over stranded keeper Lewis Fenney for the opener.

The contest was by now evenly balanced but with their noses in front Gate had grown in confidence and a strong finish to the half saw Brown despatch a header into Fenney’s body and Ellis was near with a thunderous volley.

Gate came out for the second half full of confidence with Perkins heading Mooney’s free kick behind for a corner before Fenney got his fingertips to Brown’s tightly angled drive.

With most of the action concentrated at the Boldmere end, Mooney cut across the box to test Fenney’s alertness and during their best spell of the half the Mike’s upped the pressure for a short period with Gate forced to defend in numbers.

Catlow held on to a Joe Smith high cross and Smith was too close for comfort with a half chance dragged wide.

In 77th minute Gate were close to doubling their lead with Ellis setting up Brown to crash a 20 yard thunderbolt against the woodwork.

But the second and crucial goal did some seven minutes from time when Dale Taylor was tripped inside the box and the substitute dusted himself down to convert the resulting penalty.

Only a desperate last ditch interception denied Taylor a quick brace, while at the other end Trevor Edwards was to twice give a master class in timing with tackles which halted Lyng and Gardner in their tracks as the game finished 2-0.

Up next for Highate is a home clash against Shepshed Dynamo this Saturday before they travel to Hereford to play Westfields on Tuesday evening.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


Advertise with the Solihull Observer to reach your audience

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Solihull Observer.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.