Heartbreak for Highgate as they lose out to Nuneaton Griff in FA Vase - The Solihull Observer

Heartbreak for Highgate as they lose out to Nuneaton Griff in FA Vase

Solihull Editorial 2nd Dec, 2015 Updated: 21st Oct, 2016   0

HIGHGATE can have no complaints after losing 4-2 at home to Nuneaton Griff, which brings to an end their run in the FA Vase competition.

The hosts were beaten by a far better side on Tuesday as the visitors came from behind to record a comfortable victory and end Gate’s best run in the competition.

Played on the immaculate artificial surface of Coleshill’s Packwood ground, Highgate’s overall performance was poor against First Division opponents who looked well in control throughout.

Trevor Edwards and Aaron Brown both returned from suspension to join a line up which included Tyrone Smith up front and Dale Taylor in midfield, but Gate were without the injured Gavin Rodgers and Shane Benjamin, while Ricardo Richards, Joe Adams and JJ Cole were all cup tied.

Nathan Edgington won a 14th minute free kick for a tug on the midfielder’s shirt and Aaron Brown’s free kick took a deflection off the wall and behind for a corner.

An Edgington drive then looked destined for the back of the net until a late intervention by a defender on the line.

It was a Tom Lacey free kick which was to lead to a 35th minute breakthrough. Lei Brown beat flapping keeper George Woodward in the air to plant the resulting header high into the roof of the net.

But the sides were to go in at the break on level terms when full back Anton Ashley slipped a 43rd minute pass through for Luke Shorthouse to beat Bradley Catlow just inside the keeper’s right hand post.

The second half was just three minutes old when Gate found themselves behind after Shorthouse completed a quick brace with a looping far post header despatched well beyond Catlow’s reach.

There was a moment of promise for the hosts when Lei Brown headed a Lacey free kick into the side netting and both Connor Mooney and Taylor both hit efforts narrowly wide from inside the box.

But the task of getting back into the game was made almost impossible when a suicidal 70th minute attempted headed back pass fell short to leave substitute Aden Moore with the simplest of chances to run the ball in.

There was to be a late moment of hope when Edgington fired home in 90th minute but deep into time added on Moore was to be gifted with a second goal to complete the scoring on a night when the accolades deservedly went to the visitors.

On Saturday Highgate return to league action with the visit of Heanor Town (3pm).


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Solihull Observer newspaper.


Advertise with the Solihull Observer to reach your audience