Five-game unbeaten run ends for Solihull Moors away at Aldershot Town - The Solihull Observer

Five-game unbeaten run ends for Solihull Moors away at Aldershot Town

Solihull Editorial 10th Oct, 2016 Updated: 21st Oct, 2016   0

A RUN of five games unbeaten in the National League came to an end for Solihull Moors as they lost 2-0 away at play-off chasing Aldershot Town, reports John Clothier.

Three draws and back-to-back wins had lifted confidence in the Moors camp but a full strength side, with the exception of skipper Theo Streete, had to be on their guard at the EBB Stadium as the home side made a positive start.

With four minutes on the clock Charlie Walker shot wide from a corner and Walker tested Nathan Vaughan soon after as he got on the end of a dangerous free kick but the Moors goalkeeper dived low to quell the danger.

On 12 minutes Moors poured into the Aldershot box with captain Ryan Beswick firing off two shots which were both blocked by a packed defence while at the other end Bernard Mensah pounced on a poor clearance but the shot was cleared for a corner.

Beswick blazed over after good work down the left from Sterling-James and it was the Moors skipper again on 23 minutes feeding in-form Akwasi Asante but goalkeeper Mark Smith was first to the ball.

Two long Connor Franklin throw’s near the half hour mark both fell to Asante but he was unable to apply the finishing touch and the Moors striker had another strike on 35 minutes from a Beswick pass but his shot under pressure was no problem for Smith.

After a spell of Moors dominance Aldershot raised their game and Vaughan was called into action when Scott Rendell got on the end of a poor pass back but Vaughan’s safe hands prevented a calamity and he also denied Walker twice in quick succession as the first half ended goalless.

Solihull were quickly at the shots defence as play resumed. Osborne’s free kick from 25 yards was met by the head of Liam Daly but his effort was wide and WAlker came close again but his powerful shot drifted fractionally wide.

Walker found himself in a one-on-one situation with Vaughan on the hour mark but the Moors keeper got there first and Jordan Fagbola went close for the Moors from a free kick.

With Aldershot looking more dangerous, they opened the scoring on 64 minutes when the ball was passed across the pitch from left to right and substitute Shamir Fenelon then thumped a low drive from just within the 18-yard box into the far corner of the goal.

The hosts might have doubled the score within minutes as Gallagher shot over from close range as Bignot’s Moors side looked to be running out of steam following a recent long run of games.

Andy Brown and Harry White were introduced but Moors were dealt a blow nine minutes from time when Aldershot substitute Jim Kellerman made an immediate impact from the bench by breaking down the right and delivering a cross for Rendell to head home.

Moors had to deal with the pace of 16-year-old Idris Kanu late on by they did well not to conceded any more goals.

This Saturday Bignot’s side entertain Southern League side Kettering Town in the fourth qualifying round of the FA Cup where they will be hoping to put their name in the hat for the draw when the Football League clubs join the fray in Round One.

Photos Courtesy of Steve Feeney


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.

Online Editions

Catch up on your local news by reading our e-editions on the Solihull Observer.