Consecutive bank holiday defeats for struggling Earlswood Town - The Solihull Observer

Consecutive bank holiday defeats for struggling Earlswood Town

Solihull Editorial 30th Aug, 2016 Updated: 21st Oct, 2016   0

EARLSWOOD Town slipped to consecutive defeats over the bank holiday weekend as they continue to find life tough in the Midland League Division Two.

On Saturday last year’s champions Alvis Sporting were the visitors to Malthouse Lane and Earlswood let lit slip a one-goal lead as Alvis came from behind to claim a 2-1 victory.

The heavy downpours made conditions tough for both sides with most of the first half being played out in midfield but it was Earlswood who went into the midway point of the match in front.

Nicky Playdon has seen an earlier snapshot narrowly clear the bar before he put the home side ahead on 33 minutes. A cross from the left by O’Donnell found Playdon at the far post and he did the rest by heading home the opener from close range.

Alvis went straight on to the attack in the second half and only a timely header by Simon Quigley back to his keeper relieved the situation.

Earlswood pulled themselves back into the game and went close with a header after 54 minutes but it was the visitors who were looking more likely to score and they got back on level terms with 73 minutes on the clock when Shane Brassington fired a powerful shot home after good work by Charlie Cook and Kiam Galdins.

Earlswood did create a couple of chances at the other end but it was the visitors who breathed a sigh of delight when eight minutes from time Declan Price scored the winning goal with a spectacular effort from 18 yards.

Earlswood lost by the same scoreline again two days later as they hosted Hampton who went straight on the attack from the whistle.

Daniel Rushe was called into action a number of times early on but he could do nothing when on 20 minutes Steve Joynes beat the offside trap and planted the ball past the Earlswood goalkeeper.

The hosts pushed for an equaliser but Stephen Barrett and Sam Smith could not find a way past the visiting goalkeeper.

After the break Earlswood continued with their attacking intentions but had Rushe to than again as he was called into action on 56 minutes to produce a smart stop from a long range effort.

In the 59th minute Mark O’Donnell sent over a good centre but the Hampton keeper did well to come off his line before the visitors extended their lead 25 minutes from the end.

A ball crossed from the right landed perfectly for Simon Hinsley who was able to head home from near the penalty spot.

Earlswood fought their way back and were unlucky when a shot hit the inside of the Hampton post and went across the goalmouth.

A series of changes has a positive impact when the hosts reduced the arrears in the 77th minute after Stephen Barrett scored from just inside the area.

But despite pressing hard for the remainder of the match, Earlswood could not find an all-important second goal and fell to a second consecutive defeat.


Advertise with the Solihull Observer to reach your audience


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.


Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.