Walk in the park turns to race to the vets after dog swallowed tennis ball - The Solihull Observer

Walk in the park turns to race to the vets after dog swallowed tennis ball

Solihull Editorial 26th May, 2022   0

A WALK in the park turned into a race to the vets after a young boxer dog swallowed a tennis ball which lodged dangerously in her stomach.

Bonnie was rushed for emergency specialist treatment at Willows Veterinary Centre and Referral Service in Solihull, after swallowing a miniature tennis ball.

However, after being left on the ropes, the two-year-old boxer has now bounced back to her best after the ball was retrieved by the staff.

Prior to the successful outcome, owner Dr Laura May, a consultant anaesthetist at University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire, said her medical knowledge meant she knew how much danger the family’s beloved Bonnie had been in.

She said: “I was very concerned about the potential consequences when a chest x-ray revealed the ball was in the stomach.

“Due to its size, I assumed the worst and thought it would need to be surgically removed, so I was extremely worried about the risks.”

In order to avoid an operation to remove the ball, Bonnie underwent endoscopy under an anaesthetic.

European and RCVS internal medicine specialist Isuru Gajanayake then carried out the endoscopy, saying: “An endoscopy involves passing a flexible camera through the mouth, down the oesophagus and into the stomach.

“Using the camera, I was able to locate the ball and then using special forceps, which are guided through a channel inside the endoscope, I was able to secure the ball.

“Bonnie made a very uneventful recovery and was allowed home and is now doing very well.”


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


Advertise with the Solihull Observer to reach your audience

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Solihull Observer.