Vets warning of stick throwing danger after dog almost dies - The Solihull Observer

Vets warning of stick throwing danger after dog almost dies

Solihull Editorial 27th Jul, 2018   0

DOG owners are being warned of the dangers of throwing sticks for their pets to chase after a dog almost died.

Vets at Willows Veterinary Centre in Solihull battled to save the life of nine-year-old Poppy after a stick pierced the animal’s throat.

The German Shepherd collie cross was left fighting for life after a four-inch long shard of wood went through her throat, sliced a blood vessel and lodged dangerously in her neck.

Surgeon Chris Shales, who removed the jagged piece of wood during a painstaking hour-long emergency operation, said: “Poppy was presented to us after becoming increasingly anaemic with evidence of significant blood loss into the back of her throat.




“We immediately transferred her to theatre where we were finally able to remove the piece of wood, having taken steps to control the bleeding.

“Happily, Poppy made a steady recovery over the next few days as her blood cells regenerated and she is now back at home – albeit under strict instructions to only play with toys suited to dogs from now on.


“Poppy’s case dramatically illustrates the potentially disastrous consequences of throwing any stick or sharp object for dogs to retrieve.”

Poppy’s owners feared Poppy would not survive and thanked Willows for saving their much-loved family pet.

 

Announcements

Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Advertising

Advertise with the Solihull Observer to reach your audience

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.

Recruitment

Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.