DELAYS in the construction programme mean some roads affected by improvement works to the three lakes at Earlswood will be closed for longer than expected.
The national waterways and wellbeing charity the Canal and River Trust is 11 weeks into a seven-month £1.6 million programme of improvements to the 200 year old lakes at Earlswood.
However project manager Ian Bogges said they had run into delays with their construction programme.
“Unfortunately we’ve had to extend the closure period for some local roads, but we remain on track to complete the works by the beginning of November,” he said.
“The main Valley Road is due to reopen on August 20, but the Malthouse Lane Causeway and Crest Road above the dam alongside Valley Road will remain closed until October 15.
“We hope to be able to allow Windmill Pool, home of Earlswood Sailing Club, to refill with rain water from the middle of August, and we remain committed to reopening local footpaths as soon as possible.”
The statutory safety works are expected to be completed by the beginning of November.
The lakes at Earlswood consist of three reservoirs covering some 70 acres – Terry’s Pool, Windmill Pool and Engine Pool – built in the early 19th century to supply water to the Stratford Canal.
The works involve improvements to the reservoirs, the canal feeder channel and the River Blythe.
Ian added: “It is important that the Trust does these statutory works, which are necessary by law so that people can continue to use and enjoy the lakes and local waterways, for wildlife, recreation, health and wellbeing.”
During the works the following facilities and businesses are temporarily closed:
• Wood Lane Car Park;
• Windmill Pool footpath on the right bank down from Valley Road;
• Engine Pool footpath from Valley Road to Malthouse Lane Park, including Wood Lane footpath of Engine Pool;
• Valley Road between the junction at Wood Lane and the B4102 Shutt Lane junction (closed to vehicles and pedestrians, though access to Valley Road Estate is permitted from the Wood Lane end, and access to the houses at Earlswood is permitted from the Shutt Lane end), due to reopen 20 August;
• The Crest Road section of Valley Road above the dam (closed to vehicles and pedestrians until 15 October);
• The causeway road on Malthouse Lane between Engine and Windmill Pools (closed to vehicles and pedestrians until 15 October);
• The Sailing Club on Windmill Pool; and
• Angling on Terry’s, Engine and Windmill pools.
The following facilities remain open:
• The footpaths around Terry’s Pool (except where it runs between Engine and Terry’s pools);
• Engine Pool footpath alongside Malthouse Lane;
• Windmill Pool footpath alongside Malthouse Lane;
• Malthouse Lane Park & Car Park;
• Clowes Wood & New Fallings Coppice, Wood Lane;
The following businesses offering food and drink remain open:
• Ambleside Bistro & Garden Centre, Norton Lane
• Earlswood Stores & Post Office, Umberslade Road
• Earlswood Lakes Craft Centre & Car Park (charges apply), Wood Lane (offering refreshments and various retail and craft units)
• Manor House Tea Rooms, Wood Lane
• The Bulls Head, Limekiln Lane
• The Hungry Horse, Norton Lane
• The Red Lion, Lady Lane
• The Reservoir Inn, Earlswood Common
For more information about the project, go to https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/earlswood-lakes-repairs