PLANS to extend and renovate the crematorium at Robin Hood Cemetery have been put forward.
The proposed extensions would see all current cremation furnaces at the Streetsbrook Road site replaced as well as new staff room.
In documents handed to the Council developers stated the cremation furnaces need replacing and modernising as the existing ones are at the end of their economic life and do not meet current standards.
Documents also stated that Solihull Council also identified the need to expand the crematorium to accommodate a cold room, staff room and area for ash processing as the current facilities are not adequate or safe for employees and the current arrangement can cause disturbance to services.
The extension will be in an area that isn’t currently used by visitors or the crematorium.
The proposal also includes removing the existing staff shower area and relocating this and the ash processing area to another part of the existing crematory.
The cemetery was originally opened in 1917 and the chapel was constructed in 1931 followed by the Crematorium being opened in 1958.
To allow for cremation facilities the chapel was modified and extended to provide the necessary provision for the conversion to a crematorium.
In 1971, Robin Hood Cemetery and Crematorium had a further extension to allow the installation of a new furnace due to number of cremations and a new chimney was built in 1994 to allow installation of mechanical extractors for each furnace.