MERIDEN MP Dame Caroline Spelman has expressed her support for the campaign to protect people against carbon monoxide.
In recent years, over 25 people have been killed each year in carbon monoxide-related incidents.
On top of this, hundreds of people have been hospitalised – 264 last year alone.
And recent figures show that approximately 4000 people go to accident and emergency (A&E) each year with symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
To tackle this problem Dame Caroline is working with Eddie Hughes MP to support his bill to require landlords to install and maintain a functioning audible carbon monoxide alarm in rented dwellings which contain a gas, liquid or solid fuel burning combustion appliance.
Under current provisions, carbon monoxide detectors are only legally required in properties which have solid fuel burning appliances.
Speaking about the bill, Dame Caroline said: “Despite government progress in recent years 25 lives are lost each year to Carbon Monoxide poisoning. This shouldn’t be the case – not least because this is almost entirely preventable.
“It is for that reason that I am proud to lend my support this bill to make carbon monoxide detectors a legal requirement in rented properties that contain gas, liquid or solid fuel combusting appliances”.
Stephanie Trotter, OBE, president and director of CO-Gas Safety, the Carbon Monoxide and Gas Safety Society said: “We welcome the proposed legislation which is the next big step to make carbon monoxide poisoning history.
“Too many people don’t even know what CO is and live with low-level poisoning without realising it.
“Headaches, vomiting and tiredness are just a few of the immediate symptoms, but in the long term there can be brain damage, memory loss and a change in personality”.
She added: “Audible carbon monoxide alarms to EN 50291 purchased from a reputable supplier can save lives and make a difference and we hope Parliament will back the law in January.”