England and Villa star Jack Grealish banned from driving after Solihull incident - The Solihull Observer

England and Villa star Jack Grealish banned from driving after Solihull incident

Solihull Editorial 15th Dec, 2020   0

ENGLAND and Aston Villa star Jack Grealish have been banned from driving after the car he was driving crashed into parked vehicles and mounted the pavement.

The collisions happened after Jack Grealish – who was also caught speeding in a separate incident while awaiting court – had disobeyed lockdown rules to meet friends in Dickens Heath, Solihull, in March.

CCTV showed Grealish reversing his Range Rover Sport into a Citroen Dispatch van and then driving a short distance away.

He then reversed into a Mercedes AMG, before pulling away, the vehicle mounting the pavement.




Grealish was persuaded by witnesses to exchange details, and had left the scene when officers arrived.

One witness told police he had been unsteady on his feet, smelled of alcohol and his speech was slurred.


Officers, relying on the hard evidence available, we were able to charge him with driving without due care and attention.

However, while waiting to appear in court, an unmarked police car spotted him travelling at more than 90mph on the M42 on October 18.

He was observed recklessly tailgating before being stopped and later charged with a further offence of driving without due care and attention.

Grealish – who already has six points on his driving licence from a previous speeding matter – pleaded guilty to the offences at Birmingham Magistrates Court.

The 25-year-old, from Barnt Green, Worcestershire, was today, December 15, banned from the road for nine months and fined £82,499, and ordered to pay costs.

Charges that he left the scene of the March incident and then failed to report it were dropped, as he eventually did give details at the scene.

Tanya Johnson, head of the West Midlands Police prosecutions team which brought forward the case, said: “These are appalling standards of driving which could have put lives at risk.

“He should not even have been in Solihull at the time of the collisions.

“We were in the first lockdown and millions of other people were sacrificing their freedom to stop the spread of coronavirus.

“He had gone when officers arrived and as ever we built a case on the hard evidence we had available. He was charged but it clearly didn’t act as a warning as he was again caught speeding – which is one of the biggest factors in serious and fatal collisions on the roads.

“It’s shocking a role model to so many has repeatedly behaved in an illegal and reckless manner.”

Advertising

Advertise with the Solihull Observer to reach your audience

Announcements

Weddings, Birthdays, Bereavements, Thank you notices, Marriages and more.

Recruitment

Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.