Online Editions

25th Jan, 2022

Chelmsley Wood teenager dies after taking contaminated drug at Birmingham nightclub

Solihull Editorial 4th Jan, 2016 Updated: 24th Oct, 2016

A TEENAGER from Chelmsley Wood has died after taking a contaminated drug at a Birmingham Nightclub.

The 18-year-old man was taken to hospital on New Year’s Day after taking what police believe was a ‘bad batch’ of a suspected class A drug.

Four other people had also been admitted to hospital, but have since been released to recover at home.

Detectives believe the drug was in the form of a tablet and was being distributed inside the Rainbow Club in Digbeth on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.

Officers are continuing to appeal for information about the drugs and want to speak to two men and a woman who may have been distributing it.

One of the men and the woman were mixed race and the other man was white and wearing a fluorescent jacket and white shirt.

Any users are urged to exercise extreme caution and dial 999 at the first sign of becoming unwell.

Anyone who was at the club on New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day and has any information that could help police should contact Detective Inspector Greg Evans on 101 or call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

For the facts on drugs and details on local support groups visit


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Reader Travel

Check out all of the latest reader travel offers to get your hands on some free gifts.

Business Directory

From plumbers, to restaurants, we can provide you with all the info you need.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.