BREAKING: Double murderer who admits killing mother and daughter jailed for 32 years - The Solihull Observer

BREAKING: Double murderer who admits killing mother and daughter jailed for 32 years

Solihull Editorial 17th Dec, 2018   0

A double killer who hunted down and murdered his estranged wife and her mother is facing life behind bars.

Jealous Janbaz Tarin repeatedly stabbed Raneem Oudeh, who had a two-year-old son from another relationship, and her mother Khaola Saleem, 49, in Northdown Road, Solihull on August 27.

He was this afternoon sentenced to 32 years, after pleading guilty.

On August 26, Tarin had followed his victims to the Rotana Shisha Lounge in Highgate, Birmingham.

There, he was seen on CCTV monitoring the pair from a distance, before angrily confronting her about a man he had seen her with.

Raneem, 22, was married to Tarin under Islamic law and had been trying to end her relationship with Tarin since April, when she discovered he was already married and had three children with his wife in Afganistan.

She had spoken to police about him a number of times, and previous contact between the family and West Midlands Police is currently being investigated by the Independent Office for Police Conduct.

At the packed shisha lounge, Tarin slapped both victims in their faces and angrily snatched a mobile phone from Raneem, before he was escorted out by staff.

Tarin, aged 21 of Stonebridge Crescent, Kingshurst, left in a white van and was seen to drive past and making a cut-throat gesture with his finger.

At 10.34pm, Raneem called 999 to tell police she was having trouble with her ex-partner and that he had slapped them. She said she had a non-molestation order against him, and she and her mother didn’t feel safe.

Before police arrived, she phoned officers again at 11.08pm, to say that she had left the lounge and was on her way home.

In a third phone call at 11.42pm, she called police to ask where they were and to say she was waiting outside her home.

At 12.18am on 27 August officers tried to call her back, but there was no reply.

At 12.26am Raneem made another call to officers to say she and her mother were going back to her mother’s address.

She told police she was worried that if she stayed, Tarin would hurt her.

She was advised by police to go to her mother’s house and lock the doors, and to call police if Tarin turned up.

In a final call, police phoned Raneem to say that officers had made an appointment to see her at 8am.

While on the phone, she and her mother were repeatedly stabbed by Tarin outside the row of houses where Khaola lived. They died at the scene.

Tarin went on the run and was pictured on CCTV at lunchtime the same day in a chicken shop on Bearwood High Street, having shaved off his beard.

A major manhunt was launched, with Tarin’s face featuring across the media and a member of the public recognised Tarin on the evening of August 30.

Officers swooped and arrested him.

He made no comment in interview, but today pleaded guilty to the two murders.

Det Ch Supt Mark Payne said: “This was a pre-meditated, cowardly attack by a man with a history of violence towards women.

“He hunted down the victims, took a weapon to the scene, he hid in waiting for them. He jumped out and then inflicted savage, unsurvivable wounds on them.”

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Solihull Observer.


Receive a weekly update to your inbox by signing up to our weekly newsletter.


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.


We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.