While Christmas time is one of gifts, love and happiness, it can also bring unwelcome anxiety.
In the lead up to the busiest and, supposedly, the most wonderful time of the year, it seems as though people from the Midlands suffer the most when it comes to stress levels, according to research.
The new ‘stress and stiffness’ research* was commissioned by eco-friendly yoga brand, Myga Yoga, which surveyed 1,500 UK adults between the ages of 25-55. Those living in and around South Birmingham came out top in having a lack of headspace, with tension, aches and pains also brought on because of poor stress management.
The Midlands’ results
Those questioned were quizzed on everything from stress levels to their profession and their overall flexibility, with results finding:
- Stress over Christmas was also a big worry – 76% of people admitted to arguing more at Christmas time, with family, money and social media use being the three primary causes of such clashes.
- The most stressed out professions at Christmas are retailers (39%), hairdressers (27%) and construction workers (23%).
- 68% of females suffer back pain whilst wrapping gifts, while only 18% of men do.
- Back pain due to wrapping was most prevalent in the over 45s with 47% complaining of aches and pains.
- 82% of those surveyed would recommend yoga to a friend or family member suffering from stress and back pain.
To help stressed-out-shoppers and retailers, this season, Myga Yoga will be opening a pop-up shop on 5th December until January in Touchwood, where owner Claudia Sayer will be offering free advice to help clear the Christmas clutter and ease any aches and pains brought on by stress or just prolonged periods of time wrapping presents.
Claudia says: “Yoga is perfect for muscle strength, balance and flexibility at any time of the year, and can really help those who are off balance in mind or body this Christmas.”
At the pop-up shop there will be a number of items from her luxury range including super soft vegan friendly mats, yoga blocks, belts, mats and water bottles.
Pop in and find her for an exclusive personal session that explains the benefits of yoga – with no stress or gift wrap in sight.